Executive Director Search
Three Rivers Legal Services is committed to providing high quality legal services in a manner that promotes equal access to justice, encourages self sufficiency and empowers the lives of low income and disadvantaged families.
Three Rivers was founded in 1978. It now has 3 offices, 24 advocates and 14 support staff to serve an estimated poverty population of 305,000. TRLS handles cases relating to shelter, income, and safety for families and individuals. The top areas of practice are housing/foreclosure, family, consumer/collection defense, public benefits, education rights and employment law.
The major funding source for TRLS is the Legal Services Corporation. TRLS also receives IOLTA Funding from the Florida Bar Foundation. Other grants and contracts come from foreclosure settlement funds from the State of Florida, Violence against Women Act, Victims of Crime Act, Title III, Internal Revenue Service, local city and county contracts and fees, and private foundations. The projected revenue for 2013 is $2.8 million. TRLS is financially sound with sufficient reserves to weather fluctuating revenues for the near term.
TRLS has invested significantly in technology. It has had a computerized case management system since 1980 and was one of the first adopters of LegalServer in 2004. By the end of 2013, TRLS will have completed the installation of VoIP telephone system that ties all offices together for call handling, telephone intake, and the provision of limited services via a Legal Helpline. TRLS has submitted Technology Innovation Grants to LSC for 2014.
TRLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in all phases of employment.
The surrounding areas offer immense opportunities for cultural experiences and an active life style. The larger cities offer shopping, dining, and every type of music and art. One can also enjoy nature or college and professional sports. There are numerous nature trails and greenways; pristine springs; and fresh and saltwater fishing. It is a short distance to the Gulf or Atlantic Coast for fun on the beach.
The next Executive Director will lead this organization in strategic planning to maximize our efforts for progressive development of new areas of representation expanding services for the poor in our delivery areas. The Executive Director must possess vision and a passion for serving and advocating for the poor.
High Priority Roles and Responsibilities for the next Executive Director:
- A proven record of executive commitment to expansion of services through grants and other innovative funding sources.
- Administrative acumen for working with other regional and state legal service and legal aid programs in the coordination of the delivery of services to clients throughout the service area.
- Close interaction with all legal and support staff members through retreats and other innovative ways to keep our staff motivated, excited, inspired and highly effective.
- Commitment to the Board of Directors
- A deep and intimate commitment to representing poor and disadvantaged people.
Qualifications of the Executive Director
- J.D. and Licensure in State of Florida or become licensed within one year of the start of employment.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of local, state and national issues impacting legal services corporations and their clients.
- Minimum five years, preferably ten years of management experience involving staff supervision, financial oversight and reporting, budget development, and compliance with grant and contract requirements.
- Successful leadership of a multi-million dollar, multi-site organization preferably a legal service corporation.
- Successful experience in resource development, including grant writing and private fundraising.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications and conflict resolution skills with ability to motivate the legal community, officials and the public to support and empower TRLS in their efforts to represent the poor.
The Process of Candidacy
Applications for this position should include a cover letter explaining the candidate’s interest and qualifications for position and detailing what they believe they can contribute to the future of the organization along with a resume and contact information for three references. Applications should include a candidate’s preferred contact information and should be emailed to EDSearch@trls.org in Word or PDF format. While electronic submissions are preferred, mailed submissions will be accepted at Three Rivers Legal Services, Attn: Executive Director Search Committee, 901 NW 8th Avenue, Ste D5, Gainesville, Florida 32601.
Expressions of interest and inquiries regarding this position may be directed to Eric Mittelstadt, Search Consultant, Management Information Exchange, at 801-573-3636 or email@example.com. All information and accompanying materials will remain confidential until a candidate is notified that serious consideration of an application necessitates disclosure of the candidacy.